Fast cars and an unforgettable racing experience aren't the only things that will define your time at the United States Grand Prix with Circuit of The Americas™ Experiences. This vibrant, young city has an insane amount of things to do during your trip, so we picked five of our favorites.
Here's how you should spend your free time during the week of the United States Grand Prix.
Snap a Pick At a Mural
Look, we get it. You're going to want to Instagram something during your time in Austin, so why not head over to one of the most picture-worthy spots in the whole city? You'd be hard pressed to overlook the plethora of street art that fills the city, but if you're searching for one of the best spots, check out the well-known "Greetings From Austin" mural. There's no shame in going after the classics. This mural can be found at: 1720 S 1st St, Austin, TX 78704.
LIVE MUSIC SCENE
The live music scene is a big selling point of Austin, helping the city earn the moniker of "The Live Music Capital of the World." Artists such as Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Willie Nelson and Iron & Wine all hail from the city, giving it a heritage unlike most in the United States. So if you've got time to kill one night, or are just a music head, you'll want to get out and see a live show.
Here are some of the best spots to catch a good tune during USGP weekend:
- 1315 S Congress Ave, Austin, TX 78704
- This is THE premier club to see live music at during your time in Austin. The Continental Club's calendar is stocked to the brim daily, so there will be no shortage of shows to see during your time in the city.
- 912 Red River St, Austin, TX 78701
- From rap to heavy metal and everything in between, Mohawk is where you'll find some of the most interesting people and acts in the city. This lively venue radiates youth and free-spirits, making it an exciting place to spend a night even if the music genre isn't right up your alley.
- 2015 E Riverside Dr, Austin, TX 78741
- Hard-rock and clean-cut venues aren't normally something you find together, but that's the charm of Emo's. After a renovation, this music club is able to accommodate the best of both worlds for those looking to rock out while still enjoying a fun space.
GET SOME LOCAL BARBECUE
If there's one thing Texas does better than anybody else, it's barbecue. The pit masters are out and about in this city and there are several spots to check out if you're looking for a place to dine at during your weekend. Here are some of our recommendations:
- 900 E 11th St, Austin, TX 78702
- Beware of long lines at Franklin Barbecue, but it's worth it to try their delectable brisket with a side of cole slaw and potato salad. Franklin is often considered the BEST barbecue in Austin.
Leroy and Lewis
- 121 Pickle Rd, Austin, TX 78704
- If you're hitting up Leroy and Lewis, we recommend trying the Barbacado — a half avocado stuffed with barbacoa and dressed to the nines. This touches your BBQ palette while also connecting you with the hip-er side of Austin.
Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew
- 6610 N Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX 78752
- If you're looking for a change of pace outside of getting brisket, opt for the beef ribs at Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew. This dish blends a tender interior with a strong and crispy crust. A delicious treat.
VISIT THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
Whether you're a fan of sports, giant public universities, or just love Matthew McConaughey, this is the place to make a stop at in Austin. The University of Texas has a seemingly-unlimited amount of things to indulge yourself in, including one of the largest public libraries in the country. When you're ready to get your head out of the books, go on over to Darrell K. Royal stadium, the home of the Texas Longhorns football team.
HIT UP A ROOFTOP BAR
If you want to see the city in all of its glory from the ideal vantage point, take the part up high with one of the city's several rooftop bars. Sit back and relax, enjoying a premium beverage and the city's on-point weather in one of these outdoor hangouts. We recommend the Fairmont Austin for one of the best views of Austin’s skyline. It can be found here: 101 Red River St, Austin, TX 78701.
Join Us at the F1® USGP
If you want to be at the United States Grand Prix, you can be there with an Official Ticket Package from Circuit of The Americas™ Experiences! With under a month left until the race we still have several ticket package offerings left, but hurry because they won't last long!